VAC 1: ENGLISH COMMUNICATION SKILLS
MA 1st Semester
Course Code: PG S1 04 (VAC)
Jahan Education Website
School: Padmanath Gohainbaruah School of Humanities
Course: VAC 1: English Communication Skills
Course Code: PG S1 04 (VAC)
Total Marks: 50
Q. (a) Why, according to you, is English as a language of communication in the 21st century important?
English occupies a significant position in communication in the 21st century. The world has become increasingly interconnected through education, technology, business, travel, science, media and the Internet. People from different countries and linguistic backgrounds frequently need a common language to exchange information and ideas. English has become one of the most widely used languages for this purpose.
One of the most important reasons for the importance of English is its role in international communication. People belonging to different linguistic communities often use English when communicating with one another. For example, a person from India may communicate with a person from another country in English even when neither person's mother tongue is English. Thus, English can act as a bridge between people from different linguistic and cultural backgrounds.
English is also highly significant in higher education and academic communication. A large amount of academic literature, research material, journals, books and educational resources is available in English. Students who possess adequate English communication skills can access a wider range of information and participate more confidently in seminars, conferences, discussions and academic activities. For postgraduate students, the ability to understand and communicate academic ideas in English is particularly valuable.
The professional and employment sectors also place considerable importance on English. In many organisations, English is used for writing emails, preparing reports, conducting meetings, giving presentations, communicating with clients and maintaining official records. During job interviews, candidates are often expected to express their ideas clearly and confidently. Therefore, English communication skills can contribute to professional development and employability.
The growth of science and technology has further strengthened the position of English. The Internet has made it possible for people to obtain information from almost anywhere in the world. Many websites, software applications, technical documents, online courses and digital resources use English. Consequently, knowledge of English allows individuals to participate more effectively in the digital world.
English is also important in travel and tourism. At airports, railway stations, hotels, tourist destinations and other public places, English is frequently used to communicate with visitors from different regions and countries. A person with basic English communication skills can therefore manage many situations more confidently while travelling.
English has also become important in social and digital communication. Social networking platforms, online meetings, digital learning platforms and international media have created new opportunities for communication. English enables individuals to interact with people beyond their immediate geographical and linguistic communities.
However, the importance of English does not reduce the value of one's mother tongue or regional language. Every language carries its own culture, history and identity. English should therefore be considered an additional means of communication rather than a replacement for other languages.
In conclusion, English is important in the 21st century because it facilitates communication across linguistic, geographical and cultural boundaries. It provides access to education, employment, technology, international information and wider social interaction. Developing English communication skills can therefore help an individual participate confidently and effectively in modern society.
Q. (b) Why are Skills important in English communication? Discuss in detail with reference to the importance of Listening and Writing Skills.
Communication is an essential part of human life. In English communication, knowledge of grammar and vocabulary alone is not sufficient. A person must also possess practical communication skills to understand information and express thoughts effectively. The four major language skills are listening, speaking, reading and writing. Among these, listening and writing have special importance in academic, professional and everyday communication.
Importance of Listening Skills
Listening is an active communication skill through which a person receives, understands and interprets spoken information. Listening should not be confused with merely hearing sounds. Hearing is primarily a physical process, whereas listening requires attention, understanding and interpretation.
Good listening skills are important because they help a person understand information correctly. In a classroom, for example, students receive instructions, explanations and ideas from teachers through spoken communication. A student who listens carefully is more likely to understand the subject accurately.
Listening is equally important in professional communication. Meetings, interviews, presentations, telephone conversations and workplace discussions all require effective listening. A person who does not listen carefully may misunderstand instructions or miss important information.
Listening also contributes to interpersonal relationships. When we listen attentively to another person, we demonstrate respect and interest. Effective listening allows us to understand not only the words spoken by another person but also the person's feelings, intentions and viewpoints.
Listening is particularly useful for learning English itself. Exposure to English conversations, lectures, interviews, speeches and other spoken materials helps learners become familiar with pronunciation, vocabulary, sentence patterns, accents and natural expressions. Regular practice can gradually improve both comprehension and confidence.
Importance of Writing Skills
Writing is another fundamental English communication skill. It enables a person to communicate information, opinions, ideas and feelings in written form. Writing is used extensively in education, employment, administration and everyday life.
In academic life, students need writing skills for assignments, examinations, projects, reports, research papers and other academic activities. Clear writing enables students to present their understanding of a subject in an organised manner.
Writing is equally important in the professional environment. Official emails, applications, notices, reports, proposals, letters and other documents require appropriate writing skills. Poorly written communication can create confusion and may sometimes result in misunderstanding.
Good writing requires clarity, organisation, accuracy and coherence. A writer should understand the purpose of the writing and the intended reader. Ideas should be arranged logically, and appropriate vocabulary and sentence structures should be used.
Writing also develops critical and analytical thinking. Before writing, a person needs to select relevant information, organise ideas and establish relationships between different points. Therefore, writing is not merely a method of recording information; it is also a way of developing and communicating thought.
Listening and writing are closely related to effective communication. Listening enables us to receive and understand messages, while writing enables us to communicate messages in a permanent and organised form.
In conclusion, communication skills are important because effective communication depends on both understanding and expression. Listening helps an individual receive spoken information accurately, while writing enables the individual to express ideas clearly and systematically. Regular practice of both skills can improve academic performance, professional communication and confidence in using English.
Q. (c) You want to lodge a complaint to the Electricity Board Office that following the use of Smart meters in your locality you are facing serious problems. Write a telephonic dialogue.
Electricity Board Official: Good morning. Electricity Board Office. How may I help you?
Consumer: Good morning, Sir/Madam. My name is ____________________. I am calling to lodge a complaint regarding some serious problems that I have been facing after the installation of a smart electricity meter in my locality.
Electricity Board Official: I am sorry to hear that. Could you please explain the problem?
Consumer: Certainly. The smart meter was recently installed in our locality. Since then, I have noticed unusual changes in the electricity consumption shown by the meter. The consumption appears to be considerably higher than what we normally use.
Electricity Board Official: I understand. Could you please provide your location?
Consumer: Yes. I live at ________________________________________________. My locality is ________________________________________________. The nearest landmark is ________________________________________________.
Electricity Board Official: Thank you. Do you have your consumer number?
Consumer: Yes. My consumer number is ______________________________.
Electricity Board Official: Please tell me what specific problems you are experiencing with the smart meter.
Consumer: There are several concerns. First, the consumption displayed by the meter appears unusually high. Second, we are finding it difficult to understand the changes in the meter reading. Third, we are concerned that these readings may result in unexpectedly high electricity bills. We would therefore like the meter to be checked properly.
Electricity Board Official: Have you compared the present consumption with your previous electricity bills?
Consumer: Yes. The present readings appear different from our usual pattern of electricity consumption. That is why I am requesting the Electricity Board to inspect the meter and verify whether it is functioning properly.
Electricity Board Official: Have you noticed any other problem with the electricity supply?
Consumer: The main concern is the unusual meter reading and the resulting uncertainty about the electricity bill. We want to make sure that the meter is recording consumption correctly.
Electricity Board Official: I understand your concern. We can register a complaint and forward it to the concerned technical department for inspection.
Consumer: Thank you. I request you to arrange an inspection at the earliest possible time. I would also appreciate it if the officials could verify the meter reading and explain the reason for the unusually high consumption.
Electricity Board Official: Certainly. Your complaint will be registered. Please note down the complaint reference number for future communication.
Consumer: Certainly. Could you please provide me with the complaint number?
Electricity Board Official: Your complaint reference number is ____________________.
Consumer: Thank you. I will keep the number safely. I hope the matter will be investigated and resolved soon.
Electricity Board Official: You are welcome. We will forward the complaint to the concerned department.
Consumer: Thank you very much for your assistance.
Electricity Board Official: You are welcome. Have a good day.
Consumer: Thank you. Goodbye.
Electricity Board Official: Goodbye.
Q. (d) Write imaginary dialogues on any two of the following contexts and situations.
1. At the University while Taking Admission
Student: Good morning, Sir. I would like to enquire about admission to the postgraduate programme.
University Official: Good morning. Certainly. Which programme are you interested in?
Student: I am interested in the MA programme. I would like to know about the admission procedure.
University Official: You need to complete the prescribed application process and submit the required documents within the given deadline.
Student: Could you please tell me which documents are required?
University Official: You will need your educational certificates and mark sheets, identity proof, recent photographs and other documents mentioned in the admission notification.
Student: Is the admission process online?
University Official: If online admission is prescribed for your programme, you can complete the application through the university's designated admission system.
Student: Is there an entrance examination for this programme?
University Official: The admission requirements depend on the programme and the rules applicable to the particular academic session. You should carefully check the official admission notification.
Student: I understand. What about the admission fee?
University Official: The fee varies according to the programme. The exact amount and payment procedure will be provided in the admission information.
Student: Is there any deadline for submitting the application?
University Official: Yes. You must submit the application and all required documents within the prescribed deadline.
Student: What should I do after submitting the application?
University Official: You should keep the application details and payment receipt safely for future reference. You should also check the university's notifications regularly for further instructions.
Student: Thank you very much for explaining the process.
University Official: You are welcome. Make sure that all the information you provide is correct.
Student: Certainly. Thank you for your help.
University Official: Best wishes for your admission.
Student: Thank you, Sir. Have a good day.
2. Conversation with a Stranger at the Railway Station
Student: Excuse me, could you please help me?
Stranger: Certainly. What can I do for you?
Student: I am travelling to another city and this is my first time at this railway station. I am having difficulty finding the correct platform.
Stranger: No problem. Which train are you travelling on?
Student: I am travelling by the train scheduled to depart at 6:30 p.m. Could you tell me which platform it will leave from?
Stranger: Let me check the display board. Yes, the train is scheduled to depart from Platform No. 2.
Student: Thank you. How can I reach Platform No. 2?
Stranger: You can use the foot overbridge. Go straight from here and take the stairs on your left.
Student: I see. Is Platform No. 2 far from here?
Stranger: No, it is only a few minutes away.
Student: Thank you. I also wanted to know whether there is a drinking-water facility nearby.
Stranger: Yes. There is a drinking-water facility near the waiting area.
Student: That is helpful. Do you know whether the train is running on time?
Stranger: According to the display board, it is currently shown as being on time. However, you should keep checking the announcement board for any changes.
Student: I will. Thank you very much for helping me.
Stranger: You're welcome. I understand that it can be confusing when you visit a new station.
Student: Yes, exactly. I was worried that I might miss my train.
Stranger: Don't worry. You have enough time. Just keep your ticket and belongings safely with you.
Student: I certainly will. Thank you once again.
Stranger: You're welcome. Have a safe journey.
Student: Thank you. Goodbye.
Stranger: Goodbye.
Q. (e) Construct a media interview with a celebrated film artist who is in your town of late.
Interviewer: Good evening. Today we are pleased to have with us a celebrated film artist who is visiting our town. Thank you very much for joining us.
Film Artist: Thank you. I am very happy to be here.
Interviewer: You have been receiving appreciation from audiences for your work. How does it feel to receive such recognition?
Film Artist: It feels wonderful. An artist works hard to connect with the audience, so appreciation from viewers is extremely encouraging. At the same time, success also brings greater responsibility.
Interviewer: When did you first develop an interest in acting?
Film Artist: I developed an interest in acting at a young age. I enjoyed participating in cultural programmes and stage performances. Gradually, I realised that acting was not merely a hobby for me but something I wanted to pursue seriously.
Interviewer: Was it easy for you to enter the film industry?
Film Artist: No, it was not easy. The film industry is highly competitive. There were many challenges in the beginning, and I had to work continuously to improve myself. Patience and persistence were very important during that period.
Interviewer: What do you consider the most important qualities of a successful film artist?
Film Artist: I believe talent is important, but talent alone is not enough. Discipline, hard work, patience, creativity and the willingness to learn are equally important. An artist should also respect the audience and the people working behind the scenes.
Interviewer: How do you prepare for a challenging role?
Film Artist: I first try to understand the character thoroughly. I study the character's personality, background, emotions and motivations. I also discuss the role with the director and other members of the team. Rehearsal helps me become more comfortable with the character.
Interviewer: Has technology changed the film industry?
Film Artist: Yes, technology has changed the industry significantly. Digital cameras, advanced editing techniques, visual effects and online platforms have created new possibilities. Audiences can now watch films from different regions through digital platforms.
Interviewer: Do you think social media has changed the relationship between artists and audiences?
Film Artist: Definitely. Social media allows artists to communicate directly with audiences. It can help artists share information about their work and receive feedback. However, artists must also use social media responsibly because information can spread very quickly.
Interviewer: What do you think about the importance of regional cinema?
Film Artist: Regional cinema is extremely important because it reflects the culture, language, traditions and experiences of particular communities. It also gives local artists opportunities to tell stories that may not otherwise receive sufficient attention.
Interviewer: What message would you like to give young people who want to become actors?
Film Artist: My message is simple: learn continuously, work hard and do not expect immediate success. Young artists should develop their skills through practice and experience. They should also remain humble and respect everyone associated with the profession.
Interviewer: Finally, how has your experience been in our town?
Film Artist: It has been wonderful. The people have been very welcoming, and I am grateful for the affection and support I have received here.
Interviewer: Thank you very much for speaking with us. It was a pleasure having you here.
Film Artist: Thank you. I enjoyed the conversation and I am grateful for the opportunity.
Interviewer: Thank you to our viewers for joining us. Have a wonderful evening.


.jpg)
















0 Comments